Principal Report, where I present a summary of events, activities and information from the current and previous month. These items are categorized within the 3 action statements that form the Mission Statement created by our school staff at the start of the 2015-16 school year. These statements were meant to operationalize our Vision Statement that is displayed in the ‘footer’ on each of these pages. This Vision and Mission Statement was re-visited and recommitted to as a staff during our 2016-17 school start in-service program.
Partner and Communicate with our communities
- Our annual Community Dinner was August 31st, it was very well attended with approximately 200 people eating and visiting with staff and community members.
- Our PTA is off to another strong start. Membership has grown, new officers have been installed and an active schedule of events have been posted on Facebook as well as a dedicated link (Solon Springs PTA) on our school webpage under the Parents/Students section of the menu.
- Tracey Henegar from UW Superior, Outreach delivered training to support Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) to our staff during in-service. This training will be followed up with on October 3rd with an event at our Community Center that will view a documentary related to this topic (Paper Tigers).
- Committee work for Early Learning Center Proposal:
- The 1st Annual Golf Scramble to support the Solon Springs Athletic Department was a HUGE success! 32 teams participated, our athletes (wearing uniform jerseys) were working and leading contests at several holes, a silent auction and a wonderful meal made for a very enjoyable afternoon at Hidden Greens. A heartfelt presentation about the value of athletics from alumni Joe Wickland was well received and preceded the awards, auction winners and drawings.
- In partnership with our local Lions organization, Vision Screenings will be held here in Solon on Oct. 17th and 18th.
Provide a safe and positive environment for everyone
- Check-In; we started a new process this year to make sure that all students have the support needed to be successful. 30 students were assigned to meet with a staff member each day if they had earned either a D or an F on the last report card from last school year. The ‘check-in’ process includes monitoring their own grades using Skyward, creating a plan of action and monitoring progress. Monitoring progress includes motivation to improve as well as accolades for staying on track and improving. On Oct. 3rd at mid quarter, if they no longer have any D’s or F’s, they will be removed from the ‘check-in’ status.
- Cell Phone Use: Students in grades 6-9 are required to place cell phones in clear hanging organizers during class. Grades 10-12 are allowed to keep them with them, but not allowed to use (or become a distraction) during class times unless directed by teacher.
- Tutoring Club: Our 21st century grant that supports our After School Tutoring was approved again for this year (50,000).Tutoring started on Sept. 12th; we have a light number of students being served at this time (37) but that number will increase within the next few weeks.
Provide a progressive and quality education that meets the needs of each individual student.
- Field Trips: Ricing, Ernie Swift, Gordon Flowage and Beauty and the Beast
- STAR testing and RtI: Collaboration time is dedicated to viewing the scores, the areas of support needed and providing interventions and resources to the students who are most in need. Also, time and consideration is given to the students who are most in need of enrichment, at this time enrichment plans for at least 2 students are being put together.
- PLC’s/Collaboration: See handout with collaboration schedule. Collaboration is at the heart of an effective Professional Learning Community. These meetings will attend to meeting the needs of growth and achievement for all of our students and guided by local and state data.
- My Learning Plan: Educator Effectiveness platform demonstrated to model a Specific Learning Objective (SLO) as well as a Personal Professional Goal (PPG) that is required annually by all teaching staff.
My summary notes